These postcards were created by women survivors of gender-based violence/hatred and others who are concerned with women’s oppression. The postcards are visual representations of lived experiences and serve to more accurately depict the empowering and disempowering experiences of women. By displaying women’s personal stories in public space, I intend to politicize women’s personal and raise awareness of women's issues in an attempt to stop acts of gender-based violence/hatred.
Sunday, May 1, 2011
Week 8
b. Visual response to the prompt: "A time when you or another woman you know felt/was violated"
This is very powerful because you hear stories all of the time about women that are brutally raped or beaten and duct tape - a common household item - seems to always be part of the process. I think it adds to the morbid desperation of the people that commit these crimes. They use things from their family's home to aide in their crimes.
I known of someone who is married and is choked,hit or household items are throw at her or just broken. She says she can't leave because she can't afford to be by herself and she's afraid she couldn't take her dog with her. We tell her there is help out there,but she just remains in this toxic relationship.
Unfortunately, when I see duct tape, I also think of this as one of its uses because this happened to someone that I know.
Rape and abuse happens far too often to women because our society accepts these acts as common, or tries to cover them up so that reputations aren't damaged.
Anyone living with an abusive person should try to get help and leave the situation. It is really sad that some women feel that they have to stay in unhealthy relationships, because they are financially dependent on another individual.
I am sorry this happened to your friend. You were so strong for her.
There is help out there for women who are being violated. It may be very difficult to get out of the situation, even painful but it is worth everything. Dignity, freedom and peace of mind is priceless. The healing will happen. Then a new life can begin again.
This is very powerful because you hear stories all of the time about women that are brutally raped or beaten and duct tape - a common household item - seems to always be part of the process. I think it adds to the morbid desperation of the people that commit these crimes. They use things from their family's home to aide in their crimes.
ReplyDeleteI known of someone who is married and is choked,hit or household items are throw at her or just broken. She says she can't leave because she can't afford to be by herself and she's afraid she couldn't take her dog with her. We tell her there is help out there,but she just remains in this toxic relationship.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, when I see duct tape, I also think of this as one of its uses because this happened to someone that I know.
ReplyDeleteRape and abuse happens far too often to women because our society accepts these acts as common, or tries to cover them up so that reputations aren't damaged.
Anyone living with an abusive person should try to get help and leave the situation. It is really sad that some women feel that they have to stay in unhealthy relationships, because they are financially dependent on another individual.
I am sorry this happened to your friend. You were so strong for her.
ReplyDeleteThere is help out there for women who are being violated. It may be very difficult to get out of the situation, even painful but it is worth everything. Dignity, freedom and peace of mind is priceless. The healing will happen. Then a new life can begin again.